Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Listening to what my yarn has been telling me all along

Recap: I bought some beautiful red Centolavaggi cobweb weight yarn a couple weeks ago. At first I wanted to make a pair of opera length gloves. That lasted about a day. Then I tried out the lace ribbon scarf, but ripped that out a few days ago. Both are lovely patterns, but this yarn was just fighting me the whole way. I found myself dreading these knits rather than enjoying them.

R.I.P. Lace Ribbon Scarf.

I feel as though this yarn has quite a personality of its own. I imagine it saying something like "I will be a lace shawl...you cannot fight me forever!" Only it's saying this with an Italian accent. I'm normally not that excited about the whole lace shawl business. I find that they tend to look a bit old-fashioned. However, I have seen a few really lovely ones lately that have a more contemporary feeling to them. I think the color has a lot to do with it--and the styling. So, last night I gave in and started Matilda.


I think both myself and my yarn breathed a sigh of relief. This has been sooo much nicer to knit (probably thanks to the larger needles). It's growing very quickly, and should be the perfect thing to accompany me on my trip to the Northern Territory this week. I'm headed to the Garma Festival of Aboriginal Culture. It should be fantastic! Among other things, I will learn some Aboriginal weaving techniques using pandanus leaves. Have a great week!

4 comments:

Hilary said...

Isn't it funny how that happens? Yarn truly has a mind of its own... Your Matilda will be gorgeous in that color

Teresa said...

I love those two photos you linked here! I too feel that the lace shawl can look old. This one is pretty cool, it's moving up in my queue rather quickly!
I quite like this one as well. :)
Can't wait to see your progress!

RO said...

Although I am still very new as a knitter, somehow I had similar experience as you. It's a special experience when it happened. I am looking forward to your matilda. Good luck!

Aim said...

Wow, I totally love those dancers (in the next post...) They are amazing. Thanks for sharing that, and your knitting!