Thursday, January 8, 2009

Vintage Pattern Thursday

This week: the good, the interesting, and the funny.

Mail order pattern 4906 from the 50s or 60s? I adore that neckline, and love the button detailing on the front and back. I'm seriously tempted to get this for myself, as I think it could be the right size...but I'm not sure if I'm sassy enough to pull this look off!

I've been intrigued by this and other similar wrap dresses for some time. From the looks of it, you don't need to do any real sewing--just attaching the fabric at the shoulders, and finishing the edges. It looks pretty cute, but I always wonder how well it stays closed--I mean, wrap skirts can be tricky enough, but a wrap dress? Simplicity 7572, 1960s.


And lastly, I couldn't help myself! I guess I've never seen a pattern for men's undies before. Do they still exist? I just love the pattern art on this one--like you just happen to be catching these guys since they wouldn't dare pose voluntarily. Simplicity 1960 from 1947.

6 comments:

Hilary said...

Ahahaha!! The striped undies are the best! And you could definitely rock the first dress! It looks like it might make a cool top, too.

ulli said...

thanks for a good laugh! the undies pattern is priceless.
i remember my mom wearing one of this wrap dresses. the tricky part was sitting down with it....

isolada. by design said...

I think you could totally do pattern 4906. Go for it!

Are those men's undies for real? I mean, I can't imagine any guy wearing the high waisted, striped pair...and definitely not with dress shoes. Too funny!

choo choo knits said...

I love looking at vintage patterns - but what will people say about our patterns in another 40 years? And personally, my hubby would look at me cross and sideways if I ever made him a pair of those striped undies - they make me giggle none the less!

missliz said...

I am going to have to agree with you. Especaill living in the Midwest, a wrap dress could be quite showy...if you know what I mean! And they didn't have velcro back then, did they?

Bird Removal San Leandro said...

Great ppost thanks