Friday, April 3, 2009

Recipe recap

French Lemon Yogurt Cake
From Dorie Greenspan's Baking from My Home to Yours, and blogged here. Very nice, simple recipe using ingredients you probably have on hand. I might reduce the amount of oil next time.

Perfect Pumpkin Pie
This took about 8 minutes to prep then an hour to bake. Easy as...

Eggs Ranchero
Another excellent recipe from Karina's Kitchen. I can tell that it's been a week with some mental turmoil for me because I not only forgot to add the cilantro, but I also completely forgot to add the fried eggs! It took me about 2 days to realize they were missing. Still excellent even without the eggs.

Chow Mein Casserole
This week, we decided to do a little kitchen experiment and try to make a couple of LQ's favorites from home. Casseroles always make me think of the American Midwest in the 1950s. There's something very wholesome and comforting about them. That being said, as a vegetarian with tastes that tend toward Asian and Middle Eastern food, I have very little experience in this realm. It was fun to try some new things! I don't want to give away his mother's recipe, in case it's a family secret, but this recipe kind of gives you the idea--although we made ours vegetarian with faux ground beef and cream of mushroom soup, and there wasn't any rice involved.

Casserole #2, basically a mix of cream style corn, egg, and saltine crackers. I forgot how much I loved cream style corn as a kid!

1 comment:

isolada. by design said...

The chow mein casserole and scalloped corn look to die for and exzactly the kind of food I've been in the mood for lately. We definitely have similar tastes except I don't go vegetarian all the way, all the time, a minor thing, really, in my opinion as any recipe can be modified. I did make a delicious brown rice spaghetti noodles with edamame and sauteed onion, garlic and peppers Friday. Yum! I've the picture, but haven't written the post yet. Hopefully soon.

And I'm super excited to hear about your summer plans! Sounds like you had a busy week, but all will fall into place nicely for you.