Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ceramics!


I started a ceramics class several weeks ago. It's a great class with plenty of open studio hours. I try to stop by 3-4 times a week--if only for an hour. Those of you who have worked with clay know that it takes a lot of time and attention. This is my first time back at the pottery wheel in 11 years--I have done several campaigns of handbuilding since then, however. I'm still regaining my skills, and am very much at the small-bowl-stage, but hopefully by the end of the summer I'll be able to branch out a bit more.

The pots above have been bisque fired and are ready to be glazed. That's the step that always makes me a bit nervous--glazing is as much of an art as making the pot itself, and it can really make or break a piece. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I like most of them in the end!

5 comments:

Hilary said...

How cool! They look beautiful, especially the pieces with the texture and designs. I hope you show them to us when they're all glazed, too!

Linda said...

Oh the yare fab! I love ceramic work although have never tried it before.

Wendolene said...

Fun! When I was little, I did handbuilding with terra cotta, and even that needed practice. I love how clean and delicate unglazed ceramics look--but can't wait to see how they come out glazed!

Anonymous said...

Hello there! I love your blog... I was just wondering if it would be ok to use your Shalom sweater pattern for a Knit Along in my yarn shop... We would of course give you props and send you pictures of the process as well as blog about you and our projects!

Hope to hear from you soon... happy independence day!

sarabeth
Sarabee's Little Yarn Shop
WInchester KY
sb-at-littleyarnshop.com

laurel said...

these are gorgeous!! I've never done pottery before, is it hard to get started and learning?